Back to Top
Skip To Top Navigation Skip To Section Navigation Skip To Content Skip To Left Navigation Skip To Search Skip To Footer

Environmental Health & Safety

The Environmental Health & Safety department at CSU-Pueblo is a professional multidisciplinary team. We promote environmental, occupational health, and safety services through education, consultation, monitoring and planning in response to present and future needs of CSU-Pueblo. To support the Board of Governors of the Colorado State University System policies, we will foster the partnership among the university, the community, and government entities.

Contact the EH & S Director

2200 Bonforte Blvd Pueblo, CO 81001
Cell 719.369.6006
Office - 719.549.2211
Fax - 719.549.2984


The mission of Environmental Health & Safety is to promote sound ecological management of campus resources and waste; a safe campus environment for students, faculty and staff; and to reduce liabilities to the University and its constituents by ensuring compliance to Federal, State & local guidelines, and generally accepted standards of care.

Frequently Asked Hazard Waste Questions


    How do I know if I'm currently trained?

    Call the EH&S Office at 549.2747. We can look up your current status. Remember, you and your Principal Investigator (PI) must complete refresher training annually to remain currently trained and EHS only accepts waste from currently trained generators and PI.

    How do I get my waste picked up?

    Complete a Request for Disposal (RFD) form. Make a copy of the form. Place the copy on the container or box and mail the original copy to Environmental Health & Safety.

    What if I don't have a scale to weigh the waste in pounds?

    Estimate the weight based on the conversion of 1 gallon of water weighing approximately 8 pounds. Also, refer to the weight conversion chart in  the Hazardous Waste Manual. Remember that the weight of the waste does not have to be exact. Estimates are acceptable.

    Do you have a drum I can put my waste in?

    EHS does have 55 gallon drums, but rarely does a generator actually need one. In addition to this, several safety measures must be in place to store 55 gallon drums i.e. (secondary containment up to 55 gals, fire sprinklers...). Remember, once you put a drop of waste in a container you have ninety (90) days to get rid of the container. Few generators can fill a 55-gallon drum in 90 days (thank goodness)! It's best to pick a container that you will fill in about 75 days (11 weeks).

    Does EHS provide containers to put my waste in?

    If EHS has the desired containers, they can be provided, free of charge. We keep stock of 4L bottles, 5 gal metal cans, 5 gal plastic cans. However, it is the responsibility of the generators department to provide all equipment and supplies necessary for proper waste disposal.

    Why can't I use Styrofoam peanuts to package waste?

    Two reasons. One, they tend to build up static electricity which makes it difficult to get them off the containers. Two, newspapers packed around the containers offer better absorbency characteristics in case the container is leaking or breaks during transit.

    Why does it take so long to pick up my waste?

    Sometimes the generator does not complete the RFD form correctly which means that EH&S must send the form back or call the generator for additional information. Also, all of the information on the RFD is entered into a database, labels have to be generated for each waste container and two EH&S personnel must be available to pick up the waste.  NOTE: A correctly completed RFD can usually be processed and the waste picked up in 3 - 5 working days.

    How do I get rid of unknown containers of waste?

    CSU-Pueblo's RCRA Hazardous Waste permit issued by the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment (CDPHE) through the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) states that we are prohibited from taking unknown wastes. For safety, health and disposal purposes, EH&S must only accept waste properly identified by chemical name or it's hazardous characteristics. It is the responsibility of the generator's department to identify the waste. The two best methods are: (1) determine who generated the waste, who operated the lab in which the unknown waste was found or who may have knowledge of the activities conducted in the lab. Ask them to identify the waste. (2) have a small sample analyzed by a competent laboratory to determine it's hazardous constituents. The first option may be time-consuming, however, you should NEVER guess at the waste contents. Since some of the materials picked up by EH&S are combined into bulk containers, reactions can occur if the waste is improperly labeled.

    Can I pour chemicals down the drain with lots of extra water?

    NO!!! It is not permissible by federal regulations to take waste that is the end product of a process and treat it to render it "non-hazardous". Also, federal regulations state the mixing a hazardous waste with a non-hazardous waste creates waste which is still considered hazardous. So you cannot dilute a waste with water to make it non-hazardous. "Dilution is NOT the solution to pollution."

Environmental Health & Safety Director


Back to Top