- You report that you are physically or sexually abusing a minor child.
- You are a minor and you report that you are being physically or sexually abused.
- You report being physically or sexually abused by parents and there are still minor children in the home.
- You state that you want to harm yourself.
- You state that you want to harm someone else.
Be sure to discuss the parameters of confidentiality with your counselor on your first visit.
Confidentiality of Counseling Records
State law requires that a record of your counseling visits be maintained. Your counselor will enter a note after each visit that will include a brief description of your session. These records are maintained electronically and cannot be accessed by anyone other than your counselor.
Release of Information
Verbal or written information regarding your treatment cannot be released unless you sign a written consent to release information from your record. For example, you might want to release information if you are trying to coordinate services with on and off campus services.. The Student Counseling Center is not authorized to speak with parents about your treatment unless you sign a release.