Back to Top

Internships and Placements


All BSW students are required to complete 448 hours of internship work. MSW students are required to complete 500 hours of internship work in the specialized pathway and 448 hours of internship work in the generalized pathway.

Students in both programs are paired up with agencies by the Department of Social Work. Students are never left to find their own placements in our BSW or MSW programs.

All students go through an intake process in which placement coordinators determine student interests and skills. The Placement Application process includes an interview with the Placement Coordinator, who will work with you to identify your preferred population, agency, and supervision style. We will then refer you to an agency that is available and the best match to your preferences. No student is required to find their own placement. We have over 200 agencies that we have pre-approved and are happy to work with students already employed in human services to develop a field opportunity at their agency.

Chicago Center for Urban Life & Culture Internship

The Department of Social Work at CSU Pueblo is proud to announce that we are the first public social work institution to partner with the Chicago Center for Urban Life and Culture for Social Work Internship Placements. 

Qualified students may complete their placement in Chicago, Illinois, under the supervision of a social worker through the Chicago Center for Urban Life and Culture. 

The placement can be conducted during the Fall, Spring, or Summer semester, and students must:

  • Complete courses: SW481, SW482, SW488, and SW489 (16 credits)
  • Live full-time in Chicago
  • Complete a separate application for the Chicago Center (provided by the department)
  • Be accepted for placement by the Chicago Center for Urban Life and Culture as well as with the CSU Pueblo Social Work Placement Program

The Chicago Center placement is open to only BSW students and all other majors. If you are interested in a placement, please contact the department for more information. 



    Can I do an internship even if I'm not a social work major?

    Yes! The Chicago Center has a multitude of placements that will be beneficial for many majors. Please contact the Department of Social Work Chair at (719) 549-2631 if you are interested.

    What does the placement entail?

    • You will need to submit an application to the Chicago Center with the application fee
    • They will work with you to find a placement that will be interesting and informative for you
    • Your total fee to the Chicago Center for the placement (a separate fee from the application) includes room, board, tuition, utilities, internet, and transportation while in the placement
    • Students are responsible for their own transportation to and from Chicago

    When should I apply?

    We recommend you meet with the Department of Social Work Chair as soon as you are interested in the placement. The Chair can advise you on placement activities and deadlines based on your target semester of placement.

    You can meet a year or two before you want to be placed, as well!  You should apply to the Chicago Center at least one before your placement.

Discover CSU Pueblo

students studying in LARC

Request more information about our degree programs, activities, sports, application process, and more!

Request Information

Register for Classes

two students smiling

Attend an Enrollment Extravaganza for quick-and-easy, one-stop registration and a chance to win a scholarship!

Request More Information

Department of Social Work

Faculty and Staff

Back to Top