Back to Top

Alternative Licensure

Alternative Licensure

The alternative teacher pathway is intended to allow districts to hire candidates with specific content knowledge and who hold an undergraduate degree or higher from a regionally accredited institution of higher education and need teacher training based on the Colorado Teacher Quality Standards. Alternative teacher preparation programs can vary in length from 1 year to 3 years. While serving as a teacher, alternative candidates put what they learn into practice immediately.

It is important you familiarize yourself with the below expectations and timelines for alternative pathway applicants, as the alternative licensure process is quite different from requirements for other types of credentials. Most notably:

  • You must complete, at minimum, steps 1, 2, and 3 as listed below before you can submit your application to begin the alternative pathway. It is not necessary to fully meet the other requirements for an alternative license in order to apply.
  • Documents required for step 4 may be uploaded to your application at a later date (within 1 year of your original application date) once you have obtained a teaching position and enrolled in your alternative program.

Steps in Alternative Licensure Process


    Step 1 - Complete Degree

    Complete a four-year bachelor's degree at a regionally accredited college or university

    Step 2 - Background Check

    Pass CBI and FBI criminal history background checks

    Step 3 - Choose Endorsement Area and Demonstrate Competence

    Determine the content area you want to teach and if you are qualified.

    Step 4 - Obtain Position and Agreement


    • A classroom teaching position that matches the endorsement area you selected in Step 3
    • An agreement with a state-approved designated agency that offers an approved alternative teacher preparation program
    • A statement of assurance (SOA) completed and signed by you, your district/employer and your designated agency (CSU Pueblo)


    Once you have completed at least steps 1, 2, and 3 above you can apply for your alternative licensure.

Information Sheet

For more facts and more detail related to the process:

Summer 2022

Two students leaving the OSC

$500 Scholarship Opportunity

Advising for summer courses is open. New and current students are eligible for a $500 summer scholarship if enrolled in 9 or more summer credits. 

Summer Scholarship Interest Form

Schedule Advising

Registration is Open

Student smiling at camera

Registration for both summer and fall courses is open for continuing students. Students can register for classes in self-service Banner or reference the following instructions and resources.

Back to Top