Back to Top

First-Year Students FAQ


    Who can I contact to learn more about CSU Pueblo?

    The Office of Admissions and your Academic Success Coaching are available to assist you in both in-person and remote formats.

    Find my Counselor

    PACK Center Academic Success Coaching


    What are the admissions standards for entering freshmen?

    As a prospective freshman, you are evaluated on the content and rigor of your high school coursework, grades or high school rank, and standardized test scores (optional). You must successfully graduate from high school and have a minimum cumulative GPA of at least 2.0.


    Where do I send my application, transcripts, or other admission-related documents?

    CSU Pueblo Office of Admissions
    2200 Bonforte Blvd
    Pueblo CO 81001-4901


    How do I pay my application fee?

    You may send a check or money order to:
    CSU Pueblo Admissions
    2200 Bonforte Blvd.
    Pueblo, CO
    or you may charge it to a credit card by calling 719.549.2462.


    As a first-year student, when should I apply?

    You may apply once you've completed your junior year (6 semesters) of high school. It's to your advantage to apply as early as possible, but recommended you apply by November 1 of your senior year.

    You may apply as a transfer student once you have accumulated 13 or more transferable semester hours of college credit from an accredited institution.


    What standardized tests are required for first-year students?

    CSU Pueblo is a test-optional institution. Students may submit the ACT or SAT, but it is not required for admission unless a student opts of the test-optional admissions process. Note that some institutional scholarships still ask for official test scores. Your test scores must be sent directly from the testing service or from the high school to be considered official. The University's school code for the ACT test is 0524 and the SAT test code is 4611.


    What financial aid packages are available to me?

    We offer a variety of options to help you finance your college education. The priority deadline to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is May 1; however, we encourage you to submit the FAFSA as soon after October 1 as possible because some funds are distributed on a first-come, first-served basis. You should also complete the CSU Pueblo Foundation Scholarship Application by December 24 for priority consideration, but no later than March 1, which is the final deadline.


    Why should I provide my Social Security number on my admissions application if it is not required?

    The entire financial aid process is driven by the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), for which a Social Security number is required. By providing a Social Security number on your application for admission to CSU Pueblo, you ensure that your admission record will successfully match your financial aid record and that the financial aid awarding process will be expedited. Additionally, you and/or your parents may qualify for valuable federal income tax benefits as an enrolled student and that is also driven by Social Security number.


    What does it cost to attend CSU Pueblo?

    The Board of Trustees meets annually each May to determine tuition and fees for the upcoming year.


    What is the College Opportunity Fund (COF)?

    COF provides a stipend to eligible undergraduate students. For more information view their Frequently Asked Questions. To apply for COF go to the College Opportunity Fund website.


    May freshmen have cars on campus?

    Yes! You can park your car on campus if you purchase a parking permit from Auxiliary Services located in the Occhiato University Center.


    Does CSU Pueblo give credit for AP and/or IB classes?

    We participate in the Advanced Placement Program of the College Entrance Examination Board. Under the program, outstanding secondary school students may take certain college-level courses in their own high schools. If you have taken the AP Examination and received scores of 3, 4, or 5, you will be granted University credit once the Admissions Office receives an official score report. View our Advanced Placement Equivalency Chart or the Colorado Department of Higher Education Chart.

    The University encourages high school students to participate in the International Baccalaureate Diploma Program. We recognize the IB program as a rigorous pre-university course of study for highly motivated secondary students. If you successfully complete the IB program and examination(s), you're eligible to receive credit and advanced placement standing at CSU Pueblo. To receive University credit, you must take the IB exam(s) and request that the scores be sent to the CSU Pueblo Office of Admissions. Upon receipt of the scores, an evaluation for credit will be performed and you will be notified by mail within two to four weeks what those results are. A score of 4 or better on the IB exam(s) will receive between 3 - 10 credits for most examinations. The credit you are awarded will be posted to your permanent record and transcript. View our International Baccalaureate Equivalency Chart or the Colorado Department of Higher Education Chart.


    Does CSU Pueblo give credit for CLEP or DANTES exams?

    Yes, you may receive credit for CLEP (College Level Examination Program) or DANTES exams after CSU Pueblo receives an official score report and has scored at or above established guidelines. If a student has already earned college credit in an academic course(s) before taking CLEP or DANTES exams, the latter credit will be considered duplicate and will not be awarded.


    Why must I prove 'lawful presence' in Colorado?

    HB 1023 is a Colorado law that requires students who are receiving public benefits to prove they are lawfully present in the United States. Public benefits include in-state tuition. Students must prove they are lawfully present by providing valid identification and by signing an affidavit. Students who fail to do so must be denied public benefits.


    Is there public transportation?

    Public transportation is available through the city's bus system. Two bus stops are located on campus-one in front of the Buell Communications Center and the other in front of the Belmont Residence Hall. Prices, times, and destinations can be found on the city's website.


    What division II athletics do you offer?

    Men’s Sports: baseball, basketball, cross country, football, golf, lacrosse, soccer, tennis, track and field, and wrestling

    Women’s Sports: basketball, cross country, golf, lacrosse, soccer, softball, swimming and diving, tennis, track and field, and volleyball

    Learn more about our athletic programs.


    Does CSU Pueblo offer student exchange programs?

    Yes, both national (within the US and its territories) and international exchange opportunities are available. National Student Exchange opportunities will be available beginning fall 2008. Opportunities for International Exchange are presently available in China, France, Germany, Korea, Mexico, and Thailand.

    To find out more about National Student Exchange, go to the NSE website.

    For further information regarding study abroad programs, please contact the Center for International Programs at 719.549.2329

Discover CSU Pueblo

students studying in LARC

Request more information about our degree programs, activities, sports, application process, and more!

Request Information

Register for Classes

two students smiling

Attend an Enrollment Extravaganza for quick-and-easy, one-stop registration and a chance to win a scholarship!

Request More Information

Admissions Office

Back to Top