Back to Top

Petition Process and Deadlines

If you’re looking for details on how to submit a petition, you’ve come to the right place. Take a look at the information below prior to submitting your petition to CSU Pueblo. Once completed, petitions — along with all supporting documentation — can be submitted at the Office of Admissions in the Administration Building Room 201, or mailed to:

Office of Admissions
Attn: Tuition Classification Officer 
Colorado State University Pueblo
ADM 201
2200 Bonforte Blvd
Pueblo, CO 81001

Tips and Things to Note:

  • Make sure your signature is notarized by a Notary Public to be accepted. There are notaries available on campus.
  • The tuition classification statute places the burden of proof upon the petitioner to provide clear and convincing evidence of eligibility and to meet the required deadlines. Tuition classification decisions are not transferable from one institution to another.
  • Petitions are generally reviewed within 5-10 days and petitioners are notified of the decision by mail (CSU-Pueblo email only). If additional information is required, the petitioner will be notified.

Important Petition Deadlines

Make sure your petition is ready to go and received by CSU Pueblo by the following dates:

Semester Date
Residency Form Last Day of First Term of Attendance
Fall Residency Petition First Monday in August
Spring Residency Petition First Monday in December
Summer Residency Petition Third Friday in April
Petition Appeal Appeal Date Listed on Petition Determination Letter

Tips and Things to Note:

Decisions made by the Tuition Classification Officer may be appealed to the University’s Residency Appeals Committee.

Appeals must be made in writing within ten business days after the date the denial letter was mailed to the petitioner.

The decision made by the University’s Residency Appeals Committee is final.


Qualified Individuals — Who Can Petition?


    Qualified Petitioners

    In order to be considered a qualified individual and eligible to establish domicile separate from your parents you must be one of the following at the beginning of the 12-month domicile year,

    An emancipated minor is an individual under 23 years of age who is no longer considered a dependent and is not supported by their parent(s) or any other individual. An emancipated minor can begin establishing their domicile on the date they become emancipated. Please see the emancipated individuals section below for more information.


    Parent Petitioners

    Parents who have moved to Colorado and meet the domicile requirements may submit a “Petition for In-State Tuition Classification” which supports their domicile. If their petition is approved, their dependents are eligible for Colorado residency.

    Court Appointed Legal Guardian

    A student may qualify for Colorado residency based on the domicile of their court appointed legal guardian if the guardianship has been in effect for at least one year. The legal guardian must provide court documents certifying that the primary purpose of the appointment is other than to qualify the student for Colorado residency. The court must also certify that the student’s parents do not provide financial support.


    Emancipated Individuals

    Emancipation must be proven in the following way:

    • Parents or other individuals must no longer support the minor and make no provision for support. Support includes gifts, trust funds, loans, and assets established by parents or someone other than yourself on your behalf regardless of the date of receipt.
    • Parents must no longer claim the minor on their federal and state income tax returns.
    • The minor must document that they are independently able to meet all financial obligations without any financial help from any other individual.

    Examples of financial obligations may include:

    • Tuition and fees
    • Rent and food
    • Medical expenses, including health insurance
    • Vehicle expenses, including insurance

    The financial emancipation requirement makes it extremely difficult for most undergraduate students whose parents are not Colorado residents, including students from community colleges and other post-secondary institutions within Colorado, to qualify for classification as a resident at Colorado State University-Pueblo. Transfer students who were classified as residents of Colorado at their previous school should not assume that they will be classified as residents at Colorado State University-Pueblo.

    If you are granted Colorado residency as an emancipated minor, you must continue to independently meet all your financial obligations, including the cost of education, without financial assistance from your parents or any other individual.

Discover CSU Pueblo

students studying in LARC

Request more information about our degree programs, activities, sports, application process, and more!

Request Information

Register for Classes

two students smiling

Attend an Enrollment Extravaganza for quick-and-easy, one-stop registration and a chance to win a scholarship!

Request More Information

Admissions Office

Back to Top