Back to Top
  • COVID-19 Update: Remote Operations in Effect

     

    Until further notice, CSU Pueblo is serving our students and the public in a remote model.

University History & Records

University fountain with students, library in the background

University History

Colorado State University Pueblo was originally founded in 1933 and briefly named San Isabel Junior College before founders settled on Southern Colorado Junior College. Classes took place on the top floor of the Pueblo County Courthouse. The "Class of '35" graduated 17 students. In 1936, the first building at the Orman Avenue campus site was donated by the Colorado Fuel and Iron Corporation (CF&I). One year later, local citizens decided to support the institution with county taxes. They organized the Pueblo County Junior College District and the institution was renamed Pueblo Junior College (PJC). In 1951, PJC became the first accredited junior college in Colorado.

In 1963, the Colorado General Assembly enacted legislation changing PJC to Southern Colorado State College (SCSC). SCSC received accreditation in 1966 and was governed by the Board of Trustees of State Colleges.

By then, four buildings had been erected at the new campus north of Pueblo's Belmont residential district. On July 1, 1975, the state legislature granted the institution university status and SCSC became the University of Southern Colorado. Three years later, the State Board of Agriculture assumed governance. In 1986, the University of Southern Colorado, Colorado State University and Fort Lewis College joined to form the Colorado State University System. July 1, 2003, the University of Southern Colorado became Colorado State University-Pueblo.

University Records

The University Archives is the repository of the historically valuable records of Colorado State University-Pueblo from its beginnings in 1933 as San Isabel Junior College to its present incarnation as a four year state university. The University Archives collects the records of academic departments at CSU-Pueblo, university and student publications, and pursues the private papers of administrators, faculty members, and other individuals closely associated with the University. The University Archives supports the teaching, research, and service missions of the university by acquiring, organizing and promoting the use of these archival collections.

*Pictured above: Students gather at Fountain Plaza in front of the Library, University Photograph Collection.

List of Record Groups

Aerial shot of campus fountain

Campus Safety: Coronavirus (COVID-19)

We have a number of individuals working on a plan to ensure that we are prepared to take care of our students and employees in the event our campus is directly impacted by the coronavirus.

Archives

Beverly Allen

Staff

Back to Top