Have you always been interested in history? Are you ready to explore history as a field of study?
The History undergraduate program at CSU-Pueblo offers a rigorous curriculum, emphasizing knowledge, communication, critical reasoning, research, and on-the-job experience. The program is designed to allow you to develop the skills you will need to enter the workforce in government, business, teaching, and public history, or to prepare for graduate or law school.
The program offers small classes and close interaction with faculty who represent expertise in almost all areas of history American, World, European, Asian, Organized Labor, Chicano, Southwestern U.S., etc.
Expected Student Outcomes
On completion of the bachelor's degree, history majors at CSU-Pueblo will:
- Demonstrate literacy analytical reading and effective writing skills in general, and for historical content
- Demonstrate understanding of the history of historical writing, and demonstrate the ability to apply the principles and theories that support historical writing
- Demonstrate knowledge of specific times and locations studied, and knowledge of the complexities of the past and the diversity of human cultures in those times and places
- Apply the concepts of historical thinking, for example, in evaluating change over time
- Demonstrate skills in historical research, including historical analysis and interpretation
What can I do with a history degree?There are many careers and job opportunities for graduates in History. See this site http://www.historians.org/pubs/Free/careers/Index.htm for a summary of a pamphlet by the American Historical Association.
If I want to teach history at the secondary level, do I major in History or Education?Under current guidelines, to teach history at the secondary level requires a major in history with an emphasis in Secondary Education. Come see us in the History program to get started.
What do I need to take to complete a history degree?Whether you want a Bachelor of Arts or a Bachelor of Science degree, you will need to complete the general education requirements and the history major core courses, plus history electives.