Back to Top
Skip To Top Navigation Skip To Section Navigation Skip To Content Skip To Left Navigation Skip To Search Skip To Footer


Colorado State University-Pueblo is the sole owner of its name and the symbols, graphics and marks that identify or are associated with the University. All items bearing CSU-Pueblo name, symbols, graphics, or marks must be produced by a licensed vendor.

Colorado State University-Pueblo, under the Colorado State University umbrella, partner with Learfield Licensing Partners (LLP). As of July 1, 2014, LLP manages the University's licensing program including application processing, royalty collection, and art approval. (The licensing company formerly known as LRG was acquired by LLP--there has not been a change of licensing companies.)?

University Licensing Program Mission

  • Protect the University's claim to its logos and marks
  • Ensure the quality and consistency of all University merchandise
  • Generate revenue for athletic scholarships and other student benefits
  • Create a cooperative working relationship with manufacturers and retails who work with the University

This page is intended to assist licensed/interested vendors and the campus community in making licensing and purchasing decisions.

Licensing and Royalty Policy

  • Only licensed vendors may produce items bearing the University name, trademarks, or logos.
  • Unlicensed vendors that produce Colorado State University-Pueblo items are in violation of state and federal trademark law.
  • Internal department purchases must be supplied by restricted licensed vendors, but are royalty exempt.
  • Internal department purchases for external sales (e.g. t-shirts for fundraising) must be supplied by restricted licensed vendors. These purchases are royalty exempt as of July 1, 2014.
  • Learfield Licensing Partners (LLP) collects royalties from licensed vendors at the time of sale.

Getting Licensed

Vendors must be officially licensed to produce items bearing the University name, trademarks, or logos. Unlicensed vendors who produce CSU-Pueblo items are in violation of state and federal trademark law. You may apply for a license on LLP'S website.

Colorado State University-Pueblo partners with LLP to protect, manage, and develop the CSU licensing program. LLP oversees the licensing application process, negotiates exclusive agreements, and collects royalties.

Colorado State University-Pueblo and LLP offer three types of licenses:

  1. Standard licenses allow vendors to produce products for resale, including the University Bookstore.
  2. Internal licenses allow vendors to produce products for campus departments, including promotional items and Sports Clubs uniforms.
  3. In-state (or local) licenses are for Colorado based vendors only. These vendors may produce products for resale or internal use.

Manufacturer's Code of Conduct

All University licensed manufactures have agreed to abide by the Manufacturer's Code of Conduct which follows below.
The following conditions are considered to be minimum requirements for licensees that desire to use CSU-Pueblo’s name and trademarks on manufactured goods. Where local laws set higher standards, the higher standard shall be considered the minimum.

  • Health and Safety - All people have the right to work in a safe and healthy working environment.
  • Respect and Dignity - All people have a basic right to respect and dignity. No person shall be subject to any physical, sexual, psychological, or verbal harassment or abuse.
  • Discrimination - No person shall be subjected to discrimination on the basis of gender, race, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, nationality, political opinion, or social or ethnic origin.
  • Child Labor - Children may not be exploited. No person shall be employed at an age younger than 15 or younger than the age for completing compulsory education in the country of manufacture - whichever is higher.
  • Forced Labor - No University products may be manufactured using forced labor of any kind.
  • Unions - All employees have the right to independent association and collective bargaining.
  • Fair Wages and Benefits - Employers shall provide a fair living wage that meets employees' basic needs, and shall provide legally mandated benefits.
  • Hours of Work - Employees shall not be required to work more than 48 hours per week. Employees also are entitled to at least one day off in every seven-day period. Overtime shall not be considered mandatory and shall be compensated at a premium rate.



    How do get licensed with LLP?

    You may apply for a license from LLP's website?


    I have an existing license with LLP for other university work. Can I add CSU-Pueblo to that license?

    Yes. Existing licensees can email to add CSU-Pueblo to your license agreement with a $100 administrative fee.

    License Rates

    One-time administrative fees for new licenses will cost:

    • Standard: $500
    • Internal: $250
    • In-State: $250

    How long will it take to approve our license?

    LLP will process your new license within 2-4 weeks. Adding CSU-Pueblo to an existing license takes just a few days.


    How do I get artwork approved?

    Licensees with current LLP licenses must use their Trademarx system to receive art approval. The University licensing program coordinator checks this system for art daily. Visit Trademarx at


    What qualifies as a trademark?

    Any mark, logo, symbol, nickname, letter(s), word(s) or combination of these that can be associated with the University qualifies as a trademark and is the sole property of Colorado State University-Pueblo.

    What products should be licensed?

    By law, all products bearing a University trademark may only be produced by licensed manufacturers. This rule applies not only to merchandise sold commercially through wholesalers and retailers, but ALL distributors including university employees, students, alumni, fans, etc.

    What is a royalty?

    A royalty is a fee paid by a licensee for the commercial use of a trademark. Items intended to be sold externally (e.g. T-shirts for retail sale) are subject to royalties. Items intended for internal use by CSU-Pueblo employees (e.g. uniforms) are exempt from royalties except if the internal use is the intended resale of the item for fundraising.

    Who needs a license?

    Anyone wishing to use the marks, logos and symbols of the University must obtain a license. No products will be licensed without the approval of the University through its representative, the Licensing Resource Group. This ensures all products associated with the University are of high quality and good taste and, denies approval of potentially hazardous items.

    What if you do not get a license?

    All products must be approved by the University's Trademark Licensing Office. Failure to obtain a license or approval from the University's Trademark Licensing Office is a violation of federal trademark laws and will be grounds for seizure of all non-approved merchandise bearing the University's marks. It can also result in jail time and numerous fines if convicted.

    How is licensed merchandise identified?

    The "Officially Licensed Collegiate Products" hologram label identifies merchandise that has passed the standards of quality set forth by the University and certifies that a portion of the purchase is returned to the University.

    Can you sell a product to the bookstore?

    The Colorado State University-Pueblo Bookstore works with a group of vendors to bring new products to market each year. For more information on the bookstore's wholesale buying practices, contact the University bookstore

    Can an alumni or student groups sell products using the University's marks as a fundraiser?

    Before contacting manufacturers regarding new products, designs, or an idea for a fundraiser, be sure to check with the Office of External Affairs. The staff is able to identify local manufacturers to produce the items, saving everyone time and effort.

    Can I use the University's name or logo on a website?

    Every use of the University's trademarks requires permission from the Office of External Affairs. The World Wide Web has made it easy for alumni, fans and supporters to build web pages with the University's name and logos, and the University appreciates this support. However, federal trademark laws require that the University control its name and marks; therefore, the University must be very selective in granting permission in all instances. For more information, contact the Office of External Affairs.

Occhiato Student Center Grand Opening

An artist rendition of the Occhiato Student Center

Join us for the Grand Opening and Re-dedication of the Occhiato Student Center at 1 p.m. on January 23, 2018. Open House 10 a.m.-3 p.m.

Back to Top