Back to Top

Requesting Accommodations

Students that have been admitted to Colorado State University-Pueblo may request reasonable academic accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA) of 2008 and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 in accordance with the University's policies by following the steps below:

  1. Schedule an Appointment. You can call us (719.549.2648), visit our online scheduling site, or visit our office (Library and Academic Resource Center, Suite 169) to schedule an appointment. Appointments last approximately 45–60 minutes.
  2. Submit the Application for Accommodations. Prior to your Welcome Meeting, please complete and submit the Application for Accommodations. Please provide any available documentation that indicates a disability diagnosis. These steps will save you time later. Important: Please note that you should not delay meeting with us out of concern for not having the right paperwork. We will discuss specific third party documentation needs during the Welcome Meeting and steps you can take after the meeting. Our first priority is meeting with you, not reviewing the paperwork.
  3. Explore Options. During the meeting, the DRSC representative will chat with you about the barriers you are experiencing, reasonable accommodations to address the barriers, and your next steps. Our goal is to keep the meeting relaxed and comfortable.
  4. Request Accommodations Once Registered. At the beginning of every semester, all students connected with the DRSC need to contact the Center to prepare accommodation letters for their instructors. It is students' responsibility to contact the DRSC.
  5. Questions/Concerns at Any Point in the Semester. We know that questions, challenges, and concerns may arise. The DRSC will be happy to answer any follow-up questions. The sooner students contact us to address a concern, the more time there is available to resolve it.

Types of Accommodations


    Academic/Classroom Accommodations

    All accommodations and adjustments are determined on an individual basis in consultation with DRSC staff who review such requests. Students may qualify for an accommodation but may decide not to use it within the context of a particular course or at a particular time in the course.

    Some examples of academic accommodations includes but is not limited to:

    • Modified testing, such as additional time or an alternative environment
    • Accessible technology
    • Alternative textbook/course material formats, such as PDF or audio
    • Notetaking Assistance, such as the use of audiorecordings, technology, or supplementary notes from a peer
    • ASL interpreting
    • Speech-to-text captioning
    • Course attendance

    Once requested accommodations are approved by the DRSC, the student and the DRSC Director will meet to prepare accommodation letters for the student to provide to their instructor(s).


    Housing & Dining Accommodations

    Due to the effects of a disability, some students may require some type of housing accommodations. Our office works in conjunction with Residence Life & Housing and Dining Services to provide students with housing accommodations that best meet their needs.

    Students who are seeking a housing accommodation need to meet with the DRSC Director to discuss possible accommodations. The Director will discuss the possible options with the student, and when an accommodation is decided upon, the Director will review the request and submit a recommendation to Residence Life & Housing as well as notifying the student of the outcome of the review.


    Support Animals on Campus

    CSU-Pueblo maintains a no-pets policy in campus buildings and sports complexes. There are occasional exceptions to that policy for service animals and emotional support animals when absolutely necessary for disability reasons, consistent with federal law and state statute. For additional information, please review CSU-Pueblo’s Policy on Service Animals in Classrooms and Assistance Animals in Residence Halls. If you have any questions, please contact us.


    Temporary Accommodations

    Temporary health impairments such as injuries, surgeries, or acute illnesses may not qualify as permanent disabling conditions, but may still be “disabling” and require academic adjustments. The DRSC provides assistance to students and guidance on working with a temporary medical condition while attending CSU-Pueblo. CSU-Pueblo understands these situations often impact students' ability to attend classes and complete work effectively. Below are strategies and resources for finding needed support during a difficult time. If you would like to meet with DRSC professional staff to discuss a temporary medical condition, contact us at 719.549.2648.

    It is advised that students with temporary health impairments obtain a letter from their medical or mental health provider (or other qualified professional treating the student) describing the impairment condition, including the duration and limitations of the impairment. Students can then distribute the letter to their instructors and campus staff as needed.

    Students with a temporary health impairment should contact their instructors as soon as possible to discuss the need for academic accommodations. Temporary conditions are not considered disabilities but, if a student needs accommodations beyond the capabilities of an instructor, the DRSC can provide assistance. The DRSC will need documentation of the temporary health impairment and at least two business days to review accommodation requests before any services or accommodation plans can be established.

    Potential accommodations for temporary health impairments include (but are not limited to):

    • Attendance/homework due date leniency
    • Note taking assistance (audio recorder, copy of classmate’s notes)
    • Exam accommodations (extra time, scribe, use of computer for essays)
    • Accessibility of the classroom

    CSU-Pueblo and the DRSC do not provide personal assistance to students with temporary health impairments such as building-to-building transportation or the transport of books or other personal items. Wheelchairs, scooters, and other mobility devices are considered personal devices and are not loaned by the DRSC.

Shot of three students in online, in person, and hybrid learning formats.

Get Ready for Fall 2020

Cross-campus plans have been developed that allow for in-person, hybrid, and online class experiences that will help you to tailor your schedule in a flexible way that meets your personal needs.

Schedule Appointment Online

Disability Resource and Support Center

Back to Top