Back to Top

Qualified Individuals - Who Can Petition


    Qualified Petitioners

    You are a qualified individual and eligible to establish domicile separate from your parents if, at the beginning of the 12-month domicile year, you were one of the following:

    An emancipated minor is an individual under 23 years of age who is no longer considered a dependent and is not supported by their parent(s) or any other individual. An emancipated minor can begin establishing their domicile on the date they become emancipated. Please see the emancipated individuals section below for more information.


    Parent Petitioners

    Parents who have moved to Colorado and meet the domicile requirements may submit a “Petition for In-State Tuition Classification” which supports their domicile. If their petition is approved, their dependents are eligible for Colorado residency.

    Court Appointed Legal Guardian

    A student may qualify for Colorado residency based on the domicile of their court appointed legal guardian if the guardianship has been in effect for at least one year. The legal guardian must provide court documents certifying that the primary purpose of the appointment is other than to qualify the student for Colorado residency. The court must also certify that the student’s parents do not provide financial support.

    Emancipated Individuals

    Emancipation must be proven in the following way:

    • Parents or other individuals must no longer support the minor and make no provision for support. Support includes gifts, trust funds, loans, and assets established by parents or someone other than yourself on your behalf regardless of the date of receipt.
    • Parents must no longer claim the minor on their federal and state income tax returns.
    • The minor must document that they are independently able to meet all financial obligations without any financial help from any other individual.

    Examples of financial obligations may include:

    • Tuition and fees
    • Rent and food
    • Medical expenses, including health insurance
    • Vehicle expenses, including insurance

    The financial emancipation requirement makes it extremely difficult for most undergraduate students whose parents are not Colorado residents, including students from community colleges and other post-secondary institutions within Colorado, to qualify for classification as a resident at Colorado State University-Pueblo. Transfer students who were classified as residents of Colorado at their previous school should not assume that they will be classified as residents at Colorado State University-Pueblo.

    If you are granted Colorado residency as an emancipated minor, you must continue to independently meet all your financial obligations, including the cost of education, without financial assistance from your parents or any other individual.

Spring 2022 Registration

Registration Opens October 18, 2021.

To register for Spring 2022 courses, students will need to meet with their academic success coach or faculty mentor, submit proof of vaccination or exemption, and self-register through Banner.

Vaccination Requirement and Exemptions

Student wearing face mask

The university's COVID-19 Vaccination Policy includes the COVID-19 vaccination unless an exemption is filed.

Back to Top